[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] Mixing OSM and FOSM data

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jan 19 08:05:40 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 01/19/12 03:07, andrzej zaborowski wrote:
> Giżycko is one example, http://osm.org/go/0Pp7zn7~-- . As FK28..
> pointed out the major such cases are where mappers who imported
> ODbL-incompatible data accepted the Contributor Terms or CT-accepters
> import ODbL-incompatible data.  With version 1.2.4 requiring
> compatibility with only the current licensing terms,

Ah yes. This really is a problem, and it certainly was a very bad
decision to make that change to the CT.

The issue has been discussed here

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2011-April/005915.html

and elsewhere on this list.

We can only hope that most people "misunderstand" this whole thing and
in their minds treat "agreeing to CT" and "agreeing to ODbL" the same. A
strict reading of the current CT leads to the conclusion that while we
can re-build the database to only contain data by CT agreers in April,
we cannot release the result under ODbL because we do not even *know*
which contributions are ODbL compatible and which aren't. I hope that
LWG have some clever plan on how to deal with this. Otherwise they would
not have made that change when they released 1.2.4, right ;-)?