[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL implementation plan - extra phase proposal

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" xificurk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 13:02:42 GMT 2012

Hello,

currently we're at "phase 4" of Implementation Plan for ODbL and closing
on the final data cut-off.

Database currently contains the mix of ODbL+CT (in)compliant data and it
is possible to edit them all. And that's unfortunate, because when the
final cut-off is done, we lose not only data from contributors that did
not agreed to the new CT, but a lot of work from currently active users
(that did agreed) as well.
The problem arises from the fact that even though the user has accepted
ODbL+CT, the edits he makes on the object that is incompliant will have
to be thrown away. What's worse is that the user may not even be aware
of this fact.
This is bad for two main reasons:
- After final cut-off, this will certainly demotivate certain users -
seeing their work gone even though they did nothing "wrong" is a pretty
good reason to stop contributing.
- We're piling up the amount of work that will have to be re-done after
the final cut-off.

In a recent discussion on talk-cz Lukáš Matějka (LM_1) have suggested it
would be good to have an extra phase (couple of months) in which only
untainted edits would be accepted. This would prevent users to put their
time into something that will be gone after final cut-off and it would
probably accelerate the remapping efforts in problematic regions. In the
end the whole transition to ODbL+CT database would be more seamless, no
drastic cut-off that would (at least in some regions) totally crippled
the consistency of the data.

Although this suggestion might seem as "last-minute" (current plan says
we have 2 months to the final cut-off), I would like to hear, what
others think about it. I've mentioned several "pros" of this suggestion.
What "cons" do you see, besides the fact that we would need to postpone
the final cut-off date (which might be a good idea anyway as I'm looking
at some regions at cleanmap).

Best regads,
Petr Morávek aka Xificurk