[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] Critical Mass for license change-over

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 22:13:48 GMT 2012

2012/1/29 Dirk-Lüder Kreie <osm-list at deelkar.net>:
> I sort-of feel responsible for "my areas" of the map, but I wouldn't go
> so far as to call it "my data". I contribute to this map, because I want
> free and open Geodata, for that to occur you need to put your data into
> the hands of the community of which you and I are a part. So I hope you
> understand when I call your opinion to be quite selfish and even offensive.

My data or OSM community's data are vague terms in the world of free
data.  In practice it's everybody's data and using a free license is
enough for that.  Granting the OSM community special rights doesn't
make it more free.  I think this is what Mike says.

I agree with Mike.  There are so many great projects where individual
contributors are the end licensors and I really love that model.  It
doesn't change much for the end user, but somehow it has always felt
right to me and felt like the future of the crowdsourced world.

I'm not sure if I would have joined OSM in the first place if it had
not used this wikipedia model at this time, same as I haven't
contributed (more than bug reports) to FSF or Mozilla owned projects.
With disappointment I have to add OSM to my personal list of projects
that are going worse and where "good times" are gone. (We all have
such lists and yes, we're frustrated with one change but we fail to
notice all the positive changes happening at the same time..)

> The so-called loss of data is lost already, because it stands in the way
> of many innovative and good uses of "our" map data.

What uses do you have in mind??

Cheers