[OSM-legal-talk] The Copyright of Split Ways

James Livingston lists at sunsetutopia.com
Mon Jan 30 03:39:09 GMT 2012

On 29 January 2012 09:03, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> I'm sure it is going to be tackled one way or the other but it really
> isn't the big issue some people seem to make of it. Splitting ways is a
> common thing but it is only relevant for the license change if an agreer
> splits a way created by a decliner and vice versa.

It would also be relevant if a mapper other than the creator editing the
way prior to the split, and for merges too.

> There are simply not so many cases of that to warrant all the brouhaha
that is made.

Possibly that is true, and possibly it isn't. I think the biggest problem
with split ways is that we aren't really sure how much of a problem they
are.

Until someone writes some code to actually process the history to deal with
split/merged ways, and that code is given a test run on the database (or a
representative sample of it), we're all just guessing about what impact it
will have. I don't think the issue is going to go away until we have some
hard numbers.

--
James