[OSM-legal-talk] MoU between OSM and NLSF

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Wed Jul 4 05:07:42 BST 2012

The way I see this is:
Don't allow the term MOU make you not see The Point of this text and that
is a clarification to the license terms.
In plain(?) English the Finnish authority says that the OSM community is
allowed to use the data _in OSM_ with the articulated clarifications
because some in the community have felt that the license is problematic for
using this Open Data in OSM.

Unless I misunderstand something here it seems to me that regardless of the
MOU (that is most usually drafted in collaboration _and_ signed by two
parties) the idea here is that the Finnish authority declares one-sidedly
(because OSM community is practically impossible to do 2-sided agreements
with) that:
If you abide to these (super-simple) rules/requirements then you are free
as in free speech allowed to use the data.

So, find+replace MOU with "License clarification" and perhaps -- just
perhaps-- this seems better?

Or am I missing something (again)?

Cheers,
-Jaakko