[OSM-legal-talk] [Tagging] tagging awards and ratings

Thu Jul 26 22:57:07 BST 2012

At 2012-07-26 14:43, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On 26.07.2012 19:10, Johan Jönsson wrote:
>>Sometimes there is a discussion on how to tag differnt kind of awards and
>>ratings.
>
>It is possible that the organisation publishing the ratings has some sort
>of copyright or database right to them. For example I don't think it will
>be legal to copy TripAdvisor ratings into OSM.

This may be an FAQ, but if a shop posts their awards in public view, don't
we have fair use to note it in our data, much like a photographer has a
right to photograph, or a news reporter has a right to report, something in
public view?

What about if the shop advertises on their own or another website, or in a
magazine, with that award displayed?

Lastly, what about health-department grades, created and (usually)
published by public agencies - something I'd like to import and update
locally at least? I "know" that if it's data created by a US Federal
agency, it's public domain, but what about US state and local governments
(does the same law -- use of public funds = public domain -- apply)?