[OSM-legal-talk] Response from Hampshire County Council

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Mon Jun 11 19:22:16 BST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Hill" <osm at raggedred.net>
To: <legal-talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2012 6:12 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Response from Hampshire County Council

> On 11/06/12 17:16, David Groom wrote:
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Koppenhoefer"
>> <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

I could equally reply that:

"If OS had wanted to confirm that the OS OpenData licence and ODbL were
compatible then they would have said something in writing to the effect  'We
(OS) believe that data released under the OS OpenData licence is compatible
with ODbL' or somesuch, and this does not exist.  What their statement does,
is grant additional rights to OS OpenData so that it can be used under
ODbL".

One of the problems is that all that has been made public is the phrase "has
no objections to geodata derived in part from OS OpenData being released
under the Open Database License 1.0." [1], which is obviously taken from a
larger document, and in the context of other non-disclosed correspondence.

I still believe my interpretation is the correct one to be drawn from the
short quote above, but would concede that it is possible that Chris'
interpretation could have been meant.

Regards

David

[1]  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.openstreetmap.region.gb/6516