[OSM-legal-talk] Feedback requested ... OSM Poland data

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Mar 6 13:36:11 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 03/06/12 10:55, Michael Collinson wrote:
> "The OSMF acknowledges the kind help of UMP project and its members in
> creating the OSM map of Poland. The OSMF acknowledges that the UMP
> project is similar in spirit; providing geodata that is free and open.
> Provided that UMP continues to publish its data under a free and open
> license, the OSMF is happy to allow UMP to use OSM data for verifying
> road routes within Poland.

I don't think there is a process for granting special permissions to
anyone; this could only work through a license change (where the new
license is "basically ODbL for everyone but for UMP the following extras
are established...").

The only way I can see this fly is for OSMF to publish their
interpretation of ODbL that allows whatever UMP want to do.

Personally, I don't think that *verifying* their data against OSM data
(in the sense of flagging potential problems, as long as they don't copy
our data outright) would be a valid use of our data that would not
create a "derived database". (The database that contains the results of
the analysis might be derived and have to released.)

> UMP may also provide a layer of non-highway
> data made from OSM data or OSM map-tiles within its Garmin maps; the
> OSMF believes that this is allowed by the basic ODbL license and that no
> special permission is required."

Are Garmin maps databases or produced works? If they are databases then
UMP would have to make sure that the ODbL licensed OSM layer is
accessible separately and would have to make users aware that it is
ODbL. If they are produced works, then UMP would have to make the
derived non-highway database available under ODbL. If UMP were not
willing or able to do that, and OSMF were intent on removing this burden
from UMP, then OSMF could offer to publish a derived non-highway
database themselves, which would lead to UMP only having to point to
that database and say "there's our source and it's ODbL".

Bye
Frederik