[OSM-legal-talk] Feedback requested ... OSM Poland data

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Mar 6 15:23:23 GMT 2012

Michael Collinson wrote:
> - as an OSM community member, are you happy for the OSMF to make
> such a statement?
> - is it true?
> - can you see any negative consequences?

I'm with Ed and Frederik on this one, I'm afraid - I don't see any way in
which we can afford additional permissions on a one-off basis under
ODbL+current CTs; nor do I think that we should do so except universally
(i.e. to everyone, worldwide, not just to one project in one country).

The question raised by Frederik is whether "verifying their data against OSM
data" creates a derived work. As ever, ask in a different jurisdiction, get
a different answer, but there is at least one case that suggests that it may
(Singapore maybe?).

If we were to say "we don't think verifying data creates a derived work",
would the great mass of OSM mappers be content to see Google (for example)
use our effort to determine where new streets are; send the StreetView
cars/satellites out; and have the new streets on Google Maps within a couple
of days? I'm sure they wouldn't - indeed, I suspect many of those who've
signed the CTs would feel cheated if they were told that it would permit
this.

So... sorry, but no, I don't think it'll work. :(

cheers
Richard