[OSM-legal-talk] Post-Changeover Attribution

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Tue Mar 6 19:28:15 GMT 2012

On 06/03/12 18:07, Michael Collinson wrote:

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Legal_FAQ/ODbL3a. I would like to use
> OpenStreetMap maps. How should I credit you?

I recommend "Map tiles copyright OpenStreetMap, licenced CC-BY-SA", as
that works better with BY-SA's requirement of a copyright notice.
Spelling out "Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike v3.0" and adding
years to each notice wouldn't hurt either.

I also recommend using the *word* "copyright" rather than (c), as it is
my understanding that the English word has international legal weight
but the copyright symbol or its ASCII equivalent doesn't.

For offline works, CC recommend this text (sorry for the url):

https://creativecommons.org/choose/non-web-popup?q_1=2&q_1=1&field_commercial=y&field_derivatives=sa&field_jurisdiction=&field_format=&field_worktitle=&field_attribute_to_name=&field_attribute_to_url=&field_sourceurl=&field_morepermissionsurl=&lang=en_GB&n_questions=3

Other than that, the FAQ is excellent but I do obviously recommend
getting someone who IAL to take a look at it. I know that adding endless
boilerplate legal text is bad, but more legal text is better than more
misunderstanding.

- Rob.