[OSM-legal-talk] What happens on April 1?
jon at spiffymap.net
Wed Mar 7 09:44:47 GMT 2012
On 07/03/12 08:16, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> On 03/07/12 04:06, Steve Bennett wrote:
>> Given that many people are now actively remapping, is there any
>> prospect of pushing back the cutover deadline?
> If there really are people actively remapping and our rushing through
> the license change would sabotage their work and alienate them then
> yes, we should postpone for a month or two. Sadly, here in Germany
> many people are of the opposite opinion and they say "let's wait until
> after the license change, and then see what's missing and fix it". I
> would much prefer people to remap now but it seems that remapping is
> not for everyone.
> The current graphs - http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/munin.html - point
> steadily downwards but if you extrapolate you'll see that they are
> unlikely to reach zero before autumn.
>> Is there any reason not
> "If we wait another month then 5% more data can be remapped" is not a
> solid reason, and neither is "I'm sure Foursquare would be unhappy to
> lose a few roads in the US". These reasons are especially bad because
> they an be repeated month after month and thus could make the process
> drag on endlessly.
I agree. Another reason not to is that the looming deadline is actually
motivating people to stop waiting for CT-undecideds to respond and do
remapping - I know it's motivating me and other people I've talked to.
Take away the deadline and you demotivate remappers, while also putting
off the contribution from the wait-and-sees as Frederik says.
I suspect that we'll see the highest rates of remapping work in the few
weeks immediately before and after the deadline. For that, we need the
Dr Jonathan Harley : Managing Director : SpiffyMap Ltd
md at spiffymap.com Phone: 0845 313 8457 www.spiffymap.com
The Venture Centre, Sir William Lyons Road, Coventry CV4 7EZ, UK
More information about the legal-talk