[OSM-legal-talk] What happens on April 1?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 03:29:59 GMT 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Nick Hocking <nick.hocking at gmail.com> wrote:
> The presence of non compliant data in our database can only harm
> the community and thereby the project.
>
> The longer it stays there the more harm is being done to the
> community/project.

Two problems with that:
a) You're not quantifying what this "harm" is and whether it's worse
than the harm of a massive cutover to inferior quality data.
b) As noted, the non compliant data is being steadily replaced. So
there is actually no hurry.

> We should be trying to minimise the damage to OSM and the only way
> to do this is to.....

But it's not "the only way", as noted.

> PS - It's been well understood that in Australia, remapping all the
> decliner edits (both traced imported and surveyed) will take a
> couple of years. I don't understand why some people are  now
> starting to "panic".  Maybe it's just that time of month again where
> we have to rehash the licence debate for the n+1th time.

I've made it very clear I'm *not* rehashing the debate. We're
discussing ways of mitigating the consequences of the outcome of the
licence debate.

Steve