[OSM-legal-talk] What happens on April 1?

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 12:09:38 GMT 2012

On 8 March 2012 20:36, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> Assuming you're going to be using the Australian  government data, which
> seems to be the general will of the .au community, you will find it much
> easier to integrate that into a post-changeover database. I would gently
> suggest you start talking now about how you're going to do that.
>
> I don't see the Australian government boundaries as relevant.  They are
only boundaries, are generally poor quality, and many have been removed
already without being missed.

Some have been useful for adding value when they happen to align with other
geographical features (rivers, streams, railways, coastline, etc) but this
has always been a manual effort more akin to tracing than importing.  Just
importing the boundary data again is as simple as it is useless.

As for the data consumers, Australia does have one great advantage: you're
> an island (albeit a big one!). That makes it perfectly possible for data
> consumers to use pre-1st April Australia data and post-1st April for the
> rest of the world - probably three lines of Osmosis or so, and a slightly
> longer attribution statement. (No integration between the datasets, it's
> just a collective work.)

Do we really want to force this kind of workaround downstream?  To start
cutting up and merging the planet with old and new?

The transition likely won't be an overnight exercise in any event.  There's
lots of data to process.  A phased approach is certainly far preferable in
my mind to an osmosis merge.  As Nick has pointed out, there are probably
areas even within Australia that could and should transition right now with
no issue.

You can look at the raw data to see that the remapping has been successful
in Australia so far, with the pace accelerating as the tools have become
available to identify tainted data.   There isn't really evidence in that
I've seen of people holding back at this stage waiting for transition.

The main issue is resources, time and the availability of tools.  There
simply hasn't been the time since the tools have become available to
complete what can be done in many areas with the resources we have left.

I appreciate that much of the rest of the world is in better shape.  Lets
face the fact that the Australian OSM community has been splintered by this
exercise and we've lost many good people, good resources, and good maps.
I'm also a bit afraid if we stomp too hard on what's left, it may just stop
moving.

Ian.