[OSM-legal-talk] What happens on April 1?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 22:44:21 GMT 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Andrew <andrewhainosm at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Would it be an idea to invite international mappers to remotely remap
> Australia (or Poland) by, for example, tracing side streets from photographs?
> It could well have a stabilising effect that avoids any concer about armchair
> mapping damaging communities.

I for one would certainly welcome that. I have no concerns about
"armchair mapping" at all. We have good aerial imagery in the major
cities, and in plenty of places in between.

In many cases I've worked on, major roads have sections (eg, one lane
of a two lane freeway) that will disappear, and sections that will
remain. So it would be perfectly legitimate to delete the former, and
use information from the latter (names, route numbers etc) to recreate
them, without needing any local knowledge.

Steve