[OSM-legal-talk] Feedback requested ... OSM Poland data

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Fri Mar 9 04:21:14 GMT 2012

Umh. Of course other (as in any) maps can be used for _some_ level of "verification" (such as: oh, there seems to b a rd here! I should go out and survey that!) -- Or should I rather say navigation to help in one's own surveying.

I'd be very very surprised if let's say any new company in the maps business doing their survey of roads would not be doing it "based on" other providers maps. They'd send out cars with GPSs to just randomly drive around the country?? Unlikely.

Rather, they'd buy a Garmin/TomTom/WhatNot and drive all the roads on that, make their own notes of the road classifications, etc details, and build their map data based on that.

It's only(?) crowd-sourced community-created maps like OSM, Waze, etc that have (some) patience in building their map road by road (and even these do imports -- and keep eyes open when looking at other maps).

Perhaps we're going into nitty-gritty over the term verification, here?

Cheers from Haiti,
-Jaakko

Sent from my BlackBerry® device from Digicel
--
Mobile: +509-37-26 91 54, Skype/GoogleTalk: jhelleranta