[OSM-legal-talk] Feedback requested ... OSM Poland data

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 04:43:50 GMT 2012

jaakkoh wrote

> Umh. Of course other (as in any) maps can be used for _some_ level of
> "verification" (such as: oh, there seems to b a rd here! I should go out
> and survey that!) -- Or should I rather say navigation to help in one's
> own surveying.

Furthermore, we are currently doing that on a large scale with our own data.
We are using CC-BY-SA data to verify where we need to re-survey to create an
ODbL database. There are even a whole bunch of great tools that make this as
easy and systematic as possible. So I presume that form of verification is
legal and is not covered by the share alike clause of the license.

jaakkoh wrote

> Perhaps we're going into nitty-gritty over the term verification, here?

Well, perhaps we do need to actually define the term much better to be able
to judge if that is a violation of copyright / the license. If their
definition of verification e.g does not go beyond the definition of
verification of CC-BY-SA / ODbL data, which has thus presumably been deemed
acceptable, then it wouldn't be an extra grant (which wouldn't really be
possible) but simply a clarification as various of the other community
guidelines that have been defined. If in turn this would lead to UMP
accepting to allow to keep their data, that would be a major win for all!

Kai