[OSM-legal-talk] Feedback requested ... OSM Poland data

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Mar 9 11:49:26 GMT 2012

>That's a big presumption.  I would have expected that remapping would be done as
>a strictly 'clean room' operation, without looking at the existing CC-BY-SA data
>at all, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Isn't not "looking at" existing CC-by-SA data a little OTT? We may as well forget the remapping ever getting done this side of 2020 if so ;-)

That would be even worse than saying that you can't look at a road atlas to work out which roads need to be surveyed!

AFAIK "looking at" existing maps to work out where to survey is perfectly OK, from numerous discussions on this topic in the past.
For example, using road atlases to navigate is ok as long as the actual status of the road is taken from ground observations.

Is anyone seriously going to sue us for looking at our own data to work out where to remap?

Nick