[OSM-legal-talk] Feedback requested ... OSM Poland data

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Sat Mar 10 18:09:50 GMT 2012

On 09/03/12 22:36, LM_1 wrote:
> Why not make this rule general (outside Poland) "any data published
> under free and open licence (whatever it is) can be verified by OSM
> data".
> This brings no risk, that anyony "big and evil" (whatever that is)
> will use it to overrun OSM...
> LM_1

What is verification?

If it is altering data to recreate OSM data, we are using "verification"
to excuse copying.

If it is looking at the map, we are using "verification" to damn reading
a map.

So I'm not sure verification is a useful term. Describing the boring
mechanical actions that are being performed is probably more useful, as
these are easier to consider against the actions permitted by the licence.

- Rob.