[OSM-legal-talk] What licences (other than ODbL) are compatible with OSM after 1st April

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Sat Mar 24 16:49:33 GMT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Sergeant" <inas66+osm at gmail.com>
To: "Licensing and other legal discussions." <legal-talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 1:12 AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] What licences (other than ODbL) are compatible
with OSM after 1st April

> On 23 March 2012 10:46, Mayeul Kauffmann <mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr> wrote:
>

>> I'm a bit confused here: Does the data provider still need to create an
>> account and approve the contributor terms?? And they should add the data
>> themselves?
>>

> This would be ideal.  Then we know they have agreed the contributor terms
> for the data, and no further negotiation is required.
>
> If not, and you are doing the import, then you need to ensure that your
> contribution to OSM is in line with the contributor terms you have agreed.
> This is not merely that the data can be released under the ODbL.  The
> contributor terms are much wider in effect than that, and grant certain
> rights to the OSMF and the right to relicence (under a free and open
> licence) to a majority of active members of the community.

Actually all we have been required to ensure is that data can be released
under either CC-BY-SA 2.0 or ODbL, we have not been required to state that
data is compatible with any possible future free and open licence

> Going by the imports page, we are currently retaining imports from people
> who have agreed for their data to be released under the "openstreetmap
> licence", and "any free and open licence".
>
> The hurdle to import is higher, but our flexibility with the resulting
> data
> is greater.
>
> We certainly don't want to be in a position of having to remove data
> should
> we ever relicence again.

Following on from the point above it is obvious that should the licence
change in the future then it is almost certain that data will have to be
removed.

David