[OSM-legal-talk] CT-compatible data recycling imported nodes

rhn opstmaac.rhn at porcupinefactory.org
Wed Mar 28 21:12:41 BST 2012

Hello,

Please excuse me if my question has been asked before, I don't follow this list.

Today I found information about the way data is going to be marked as incompatible - the way I understood it, all ways and nodes are going to be reverted to the latest compatible version (i.e. the one before first CC-only changeset).

This worries me, as it seems the bulk of my changesets will be deleted.
I focused on an area with data coming nearly exclusively from an incompatible source (UMP). Before a license change was even in plans, I managed to replace the road network almost completely with GPS traces and some landuse data with WMS and traces.
The problem is, I never bothered too much with replacing the actual database objects (takes too much time), thinking removal of source=* would be enough. Let me mention that I removed source only from  nodes and ways that I had precise data about (and would have deleted if it wasn't a hassle).

My questions are: Is it acceptable to copy the snapshot of my current data that would otherwise get deleted and restore it as CT-compatible?
If yes, should the backup be performed now or is there going to be a way to access CC data after the license change?
If not, is there any other way to preserve the data?

Cheers,
rhn