[OSM-legal-talk] BC Open Government License

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Fri May 4 14:36:14 BST 2012

Thanks Paul, this is good news.  These kinds of license are appearing in
a number of countries and are a great way of providing open geodata by
governmental organisations.

One small correction, but a positive one:  The license is based on the
pure UK Open Government License [1] rather than the one used by the UK
OS OpenData. The Ordnance Survey use an adultered version which is not
necessarily compatible with OSM; we had to get explicit clarification
from them to use data.

I've just read through the BC license and my conclusion is also it is
compatible with our contributor terms in conjunction with ODbL, CC-BY-SA
or a future license provided that on our official attribution page [2]
we attribute them (5a) and state that we have not official status (5b).
The existing OS attribution can be used as a model. A link to a separate
project web-page describing the data and how we use it would also help
with 5c.

My only caution is 7c (third party rights) but agree with Paul's
conclusion. My guess is that this would be more applicable to documents
that contain specific elements like a photo or map with more restrictive
licensing. For geodata, just check that if there is suite of datasets,
that there is not one with more restrictive rights.

Mike

[1] http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/

[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Attribution