[OSM-legal-talk] Attributing Sources used in OSM

Robert Whittaker (OSM) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Wed May 9 09:08:17 BST 2012

I've just been given permission to use some UK Local Government data
relating to Public Footpaths and other Rights of Way in OpenStreetMap,
under the terms of the Open Government License (OGL) [1]. In return
the County Council is asking for a standard attribution based on the
example given in the license. So far, so good.

Assuming that local mappers agree if and how we make use of the data
(ongoing discussion on the talk-gb lists), can I check that the right
place to put this attribution would be in the wiki at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors ?

Secondly, if that's the case, then surely there needs to be an obvious
way to reach that page from the main OSM page. From
http://www.openstreetmap.org/ , I can easily get to
http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright by following the "Copyright &
License" link in the left-hand bar. But, unless I'm missing something,
the trail then runs cold. That page contains a few attribution
statements / acknowledgements for major data providers, but I'd have
thought it should also link to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors for further detail and
additional statements. Should a link along the lines or "For further
details about these and other sources used to compile the map, please
see ..." be added just below the bulleted list of countries near the
bottom of http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright ?

(Ok, so you can get to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors
from the main page by clicking "Documentation" on the main OSM page,
and then "Contributors" from the left-hand bar of the wiki. But given
the presence of the "Copyright & License" on the main page, and the
attribution statements contained at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright , I don't think a reasonable
person would consider looking anywhere else for additional
attributions.)

Thanks,

Robert.

[1] http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/