[OSM-legal-talk] tesco store location data

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Nov 5 17:56:18 GMT 2012

Chris Hill wrote:
> So the answer, as always with this sort of question, is no we cannot
> use that data without written permission of the copyright holder to
> use this data in OSM for any purpose. I don't think that is likely to
> be forthcoming.

Indeed.

Don't forget, too, that Tesco probably didn't create the data themselves -
they might have sent a guy out with a GPS to each of their stores, but I
doubt it. More likely it's referenced against some external, commercial,
protected-up-to-the-eyeballs dataset. Even if someone in Tesco's "Customer
Contact Centre" (or whatever) says yes, they likely aren't aware of upstream
copyright issues.

cheers
Richard