[OSM-legal-talk] tesco store location data

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Nov 5 19:08:57 GMT 2012

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> but doesn't this apply as well to all permits we already got? How
> can you know that who gives you a license also has the right to
> do so?

It's a matter of taking a judgement. To take two extremes, I'd trust the
Ordnance Survey 100% to send out surveyors (or use their own aerials), but I
certainly wouldn't trust Wikipedia co-ordinates given that there's an
explicit instruction on there to copy from Google Maps.

Many non-NMA sources will fall somewhere between the two. I don't know if
you have Tesco over there, but based on their general corporate behaviour in
the UK, I suspect their method of finding co-ordinates probably involves
killing the firstborn and sacrificing a goat... not sure whether that's
compatible with ODbL+CT or not?

cheers
Richard