[OSM-legal-talk] Using OSM POI and building information to enhance other building data

Carola Kunze caro_kunze at hotmail.de
Thu Nov 15 13:35:04 GMT 2012

Hello,

confused by all the stuff that is written about the use of the ODbl License, I have to ask for your opinion.

I'm working on a research paper regarding semantic OSM Information for the use in urban structure analyses. We want to extract usage information from OSM (POI/ polygon e.g. amenity=bar and building=house) to specify if a building is only used for living or is mixed with shops etc.
Therefore we have to compare and intersect proprietary data (german geobasis data: atkis, alk) with the OSM points and polygons. The easiest way, to store both datasets is in a database. Finally, to present the analysis results about the usage of buildings for living or others, we maybe want to present them in a web based application. It is not possible to publish the proprietary geobasis data under the ODbl license.

The question is, if the OSM data under ODbl allows this kind of analysis, where osm data and proprietary data are mixed.
I hope I have explained it well and you got an idea of the project. And I hope you can help me with the question of licensing the data in this project.

Thanks a lot and greetings from Dresden, Germany
Carola K.