[OSM-legal-talk] [Talk-us] press from SOTM US

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 09:48:35 GMT 2012

2012/10/24 andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com>:
> As has been noted in the Public Domain subset thread, the contributors
> can make license statement that they like, but the OSMF can still
> enforce the database rights.  So a statement by the contributors (e.g.
> on OSM wiki) that is not confirmed by the OSMF is not very helpful to
> the end user.

what the end user could do: approach the contributor that made the PD
declaration and ask them to give them the data they contributed under
PD conditions ;-). Not sure but I guess this might be only possible if
the user had stored a local copy of the data. If the original
contributor got his ("own") data from the OSMF-servers it would
probably be under ODbL even if he himself had contributed it and given
only a non-exclusive license to OSMF. From a practical point of view I
think it would be difficult to determine whether the data was copied
from the OSMF servers of from a local copy though.

cheers,
Martin