[OSM-legal-talk] importing ODBl data

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Thu Sep 20 14:03:42 BST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Dupont" <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com>
To: "Licensing and other legal discussions." <legal-talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:32 AM
Subject: [OSM-legal-talk] importing ODBl data

> Hi there,
>
> I have a question about imports and the ODBl,
>
> I see that some sources have decided to dual license the data
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue
>
> But how can some third parties data be compatible when the CT says it
> can change any time, surly they might be compatible with the current
> instance of the license, but how can they be compatible with future
> versions of the license when they are no known?

I think the answer to your question is covered by the "clarification on
license compatibility"  issued by the LWG on 19 July 2011 [1]

"The intent of the Contributor Terms as regards contributions that come from
or are derived from third parties is:

1) To ask the contributor to be *reasonably* certain that such data can be
distributed under the specific specific licenses, as explicitly listed in
clause 3 of the contributor terms:  CC-BY-SA 2.0 and ODbL 1.0.
............Should the license change in the future, continued distribution
of some data that comes from or is derived from third parties may no longer
be possible. If this happens, it will have to be removed. This will be the
responsibility of OSMF."

Should the licence change to something other than CC-BY-SA 2.0 or ODbL 1.0,
OSMF have guaranteed that they will identify and remove any data
incompatible with that licence.

Incidentally, I believe that the burden OSMF have imposed upon themselves
makes it almost certain that no other licence than CC-BY-SA 2.0 or ODbL 1.0
would ever be used.

David

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/preview?id=1-sm2NCRPBKQnb3dn8CFORi5RNE_JpdG02rwYVjLJppI&pli=1