[OSM-legal-talk] Imagery license clarification needed

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Tue Aug 27 07:34:43 UTC 2013

On 26.08.2013 00:14, Paul Norman wrote:
>> I worry:
>> OSM data can be used for any purpose, including commercial ones. The
>> license above explicitly forbids commercial gain: "At no time should
>> this imagery or LIDP be used for other than USG-related purposes and
>> must not be used for commercial gain".
>>
>> Will it harm OSM if we have larger scale data from this source included
>> in the database?
>
> Without a link to the full license it's impossible to interpret, but if a
> LIDP was something like a reprojection or other transform of the imagery,
> it would not necessarily be an issue.

Not understanding what the definition of LIDP is makes it so difficult
for me to understand the license.
Martin replied earlier and he did interpret it as not suitable for OSM.

> Can you provide the full license so that we can see what the classify
> tracings as?
Unfortunately that was all license text available. It comes from HOT
context. I noticed that a lot of imagery and data available for that
humanitarian context comes with a clear non-commercial clause.

I worry this is tainting the database. Do the data donors know that data
stays in the OSM database even after the humanitarian incident is
resolved and can (and will) be used for commercial purposes?

Stephan