[OSM-legal-talk] [HOT] Imagery license clarification needed

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Tue Aug 27 12:48:22 UTC 2013

Hi All,

This has come up before. HOT is part of a pilot for the initiative
"Imagery to the Crowd" (1). Representatives of HOT and the US
Government met multiple times in all day meetings to discuss what the
NextView license means as well as to have the vectors available under
ODbL. The legal interpretation by the US government lawyers of their
own license was that the initial use of the imagery needed to be for
humanitarian use, but it was fine for there also to be commercial use.
So basically they can't give the OSM community the imagery to digitize
for an initially commercial reason, but the vectors can stay in OSM
under ODbL no problem beyond that.

-Kate

(1) https://hiu.state.gov/ittc/ittc.aspx