[OSM-legal-talk] [HOT] Imagery license clarification needed

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Wed Aug 28 15:16:17 UTC 2013

Hi,

i think Richard points to the right direction.

Richard Weait writes:
> Were any potential data donor, or imagery donor in this case, able to
> state, "I grant use of {dataset} to OpenStreetMap contributors for use
> under the terms of the OpenStreetMap License and Contributor Terms,"
> well that might be a useful shortcut.

i understand that often imagery is handed out in the context of
humanitarian aid and should only be used in this context.

For OSM to be on the safe side: Would it be possible to document the
permissions you have for tracing in a clearly understandable way in the
wiki? The current license text leaves a bit of uncertainty what a derived
imagery product is.

So why not simply add a clause saying "Imagery is used by the members of
the HOT for providing humanitarian aid as expressed in our policy. Derived
data will be stored in the Openstretmap database in accordance with the
contributor terms and is available under the ODbL also after end of the
humanitarian project".

That way it's clear to OSM contributors as well as to data donors what is
going to happen.

if an imagery provider would not like the above sentence He wouldn't like
the current situation either and might cause trouble later. So it wouldn't
change anything and add more clarity to the process.

Stephan