[OSM-legal-talk] Detection of copyrighted data

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 16:48:56 UTC 2013

Hello,

I've recently posted this on the forum
(http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=22354). Do you have
any ideas?

The post in the forum says:

"The Brazilian community is growing and now we are facing a problem.
Some contributors may be importing copyrighted data. While we are
defining a workflow to handle that, I would like to know if there are
any tools that could help us detect if:
- any data was copied from another map (in .osm format), with or
without some form of "adulteration"
- any imported data was traced over some other imagery (particularly Google's)

I would like to know also which copyright legislation applies: that of
the regions of the imported data, or that of where the database is
stored and the service is provided?

Thank you in advance for any information."

--
Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409

"The speed of computer chips doubles every 18 months." (Moore's law)
"The speed of software halves every 18 months." (Gates' law)