[OSM-legal-talk] Using CC-BY as a source for Openstreetmap

Alex Sims alex at softgrow.com
Wed Jan 2 12:04:44 GMT 2013

Hi,

I looked at wiki.openstreetmap.org and couldn't find a straight answer
as to wheter CC-BY data sets can be used as a source for Openstreetmap.

The South Australian State government Department of Transport, Planning
and Infrastructure has started a small but potentially useful data
portal at http://dpti.sa.gov.au/data_download_portal/

The data is licensed Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence,
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/au/deed.en

I'm proposing to use the Suburb boundaries as a basis for mapping and
the Gazeteer for checking existing placenames.

My understanding is that if attribution is made somewhere in
wiki.openstreetmap.org then the data can be used.

Or is there more than that?

Alex