[OSM-legal-talk] Combining NC Data with ODbL

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 11:22:21 GMT 2013

2013/1/15 Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com>:
> Hard to say if it would be substantial, I think that is going to
> depend on the size of the disaster and what exactly the data is being
> used.

I think with the current guidelines any extraction will be very soon
substantial, "The OSM community regards the following as being not
Substantial ... provided that the extraction is one-off and not
repeated over time for the same or a similar project."

Especially the part "not repeated over time for the same or a similar
project" will be read that if you extract a second time hospitals or
schools the amount would add to the number from the first time you did
so.

This is very sad, I'm sure almost all contributors to OSM would like
to not have these restrictions for certain scopes (like HOT). What if
we made a change to our license to have different terms for different
fields of users? (Or is this completely unrealistic?). E.g. we could
release data for humanitarian work under attribution only (after
positive voting by the active contributors) terms?

cheers,
Martin