[OSM-legal-talk] Combining NC Data with ODbL

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 16:45:55 GMT 2013

Kate Chapman-2 wrote
> 2. I have a spreadsheet of hospital locations licensed CC-BY-NC, I use
> OSM to geocode these locations. I believe this can't happen because of
> the incompatibility of the two licenses.

Aren't the results of geocoding produced works and therefore can be licensed
according to the rules of produced works? They seem to be the exact
equivalent of rendering tiles.

In rendering tiles you input a tilenumber (and its associated coordinates)
you then take a software which has access to a OSM database which then
produces a bitmap rendering of those coordinates.

In geocoding you input a coordinate you then take a software which has
access to a OSM database which then produces a textual rendering of the
coordinate.

You can mass render tiles and the collection of tiles remain produced works.
So you should equally be able to mass geocode and the collection of results
remain produced works.

So it seems as long as you attribute OpenStreetMap as the source of
geocoding you should be fine.

Furthermore, do the (problematic) rules of the license not only apply on
redistribution? So if e.g. an Organisation mass geocodes and then combines
it with their hospital data set, as long as the result remains in the
organisation they are fine?

Kai