[OSM-legal-talk] Regarding The New OSM License

Rob smarttiki at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 22:11:25 GMT 2013

Hello.

Would like to ask / discuss with you the new license for OSM if you do not mind.

I have a website that I would like to integrate/include OSM map tiles into.

What I would like to clarify is if I would be required to share the data which is / has been collected through the website.

I would like to build a tile server based on OSM data for serving map tiles for use in a commercial website project that will be accessed by the general public at no charge.

The website currently stores and retrieves data from a non OSM sql db containing information regarding various points of interest ( POI ) .  Information such as addresses, points of contacts, photos, etc... are stored in the non OSM sql db.

I would like to be able to places maps ( static / slippery ) generated by the tile server on various web pages throughout the website and then display a push pin(s), flag(s) or marker(s) in a separate layer above the map to highlight the location of the POI.

A few examples of how users would interact with the website.

1.  Users would enter an address.  Search would be made in non OSM sql db for any corresponding POI.  A call would be made to the tile server.  Map tile would be displayed associated with that address.  If there is a associated POI a flag/marker would be displayed in a layer above the map tile marking its location.

2.  Users would add a POI through a web interface for inclusion into the non OSM sql db.

3.  Users would supply GPS coordinates to the website.  A call would be made to the tile server. A corresponding map tile would be displayed.

4.  Users would supply GPS coordinates. Search would be made in sql db for any corresponding POI.  Map tile would be displayed associated with that GPS coordinate. If there is a associated POI a flag/marker would be displayed in a layer above the map tile marking its location.

What I would like to know is if I would be required to share/supply the non OSM sql db with OSM or anyone that would ask?

I look forward to being able to contribute to OSM but I need to be able to control what is shared with OSM.

Thanks for your time,
Rob