[OSM-legal-talk] (c) statement on openstreetmap.org slippy map?

Jonathan Harley jon at spiffymap.net
Thu Jan 17 11:16:21 GMT 2013

> 2013/1/17 Jeff Meyer <jeff at gwhat.org <mailto:jeff at gwhat.org>>
>
>     from http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright:
>
>     "For a browsable electronic map, the credit should appear in the
>     corner of the map. For example:
>

> below there is this paragraph:
>

>       Finding out more
>
> Read more about using our data, and how to credit us, at theLegal FAQ
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Legal_FAQ>.
>
> On that page
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Legal_FAQ#3a._I_would_like_to_use_OpenStreetMap_maps._How_should_I_credit_you.3F
>
> "where to put it" : "For a *browsable electronic map* (e.g. embedded
> in a web page or mobile phone application), the credit should appear
> in the corner of the map, as commonly seen with map APIs/libraries
> such as Google Maps, or an about box/page."
>
> cheers,
> Martin

The Copyright page used to match the Legal FAQ, but was changed a month
or two ago without prior discussion on this list. There has been some
subsequent discussion of it on this list and also last week on the IRC
channel.

I (and others) don't think it's reasonable to demand that the credit is
"in the corner" in all circumstances. On mobile devices there may not be
room. It may obscure the map. It may not be easily readable; it would
usually look better and be more readable on a plain, non-map background.
If the map provider doesn't put their own credit in the corner of the
map, why should OSM's be there? The ODbL just says the credit should be
prominent - so if there are any other credits, I think it would be
reasonable for us to mandate that the OSM credit has the same prominence
as those.

We don't require OSM-derived maps to be rectangular. Let's not limit
ourselves to just doing whatever Google do. I think someone with the
editing rights to do so should put the Copyright page back into line
with the FAQ. Having them disagree just says "OSM is confused about this".

For the same reason, I agree that the mobile version of OSM should have
a reference to the copyright message somewhere, like the web version does.

Jonathan.

--
Dr Jonathan Harley   :    Managing Director    :   SpiffyMap Ltd

md at spiffymap.com      Phone: 0845 313 8457     www.spiffymap.com
The Venture Centre, Sir William Lyons Road, Coventry CV4 7EZ, UK