[OSM-legal-talk] GADM and Bolivia

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Jan 23 08:32:20 GMT 2013

I'm sure we're all overjoyed to have this come up again...

Background/refresher:

GADM is a global administrative boundary dataset under a non-commercial
license. Some people imported data from it into OSM, not realizing (or not
caring) that it was incompatible with CC BY-SA, ODbL as well as any open
license.

At the time of the redaction we found this out and Simon asked about
Ecuador, Ivory Coast, Turkey, Uganda, Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kenya,
Mozambique, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, and Syria.

We received permission for Turkey, Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Jordan,
Saudi Arabia, Sudan, and Syria but GADM couldn't grant the rights in
Ecuador, Uganda,  Rwanda, Kenya, and Mozambique.

While looking at something else I came across an import of administrative
boundaries from GADM in Bolivia. This was not identified at the time by
looking at the wiki, so we never asked GADM about it.

The one changeset I've identified is
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/3993096, by LLAQWA, the person
who imported Ecuador GADM data that had to be redacted. Previous efforts to
contact him were unsuccessful, so I see no point in trying again.

Simon is skiing, so what I propose doing is contacting the person from GADM
who replied before, and if they can't grant permission then it'll need to be
redacted.

I was unable to identify any way of contacting the Bolivian community, or
even if there is one. I don't think that it changes much anyways - if we
can't get permission, we need to redact.