[OSM-legal-talk] Advice regarding terms from an agency

Svavar Kjarrval svavar at kjarrval.is
Wed Jan 23 16:39:59 GMT 2013

Hi.

The National Land Survey of Iceland has made their data free of charge
and offer them as downloads. It spans numerous datasets which would be
invaluable to the mapping progress in Iceland. However, there are terms
which must be agreed before access can be legally obtained. The terms
state that a distribution and publication permission is required for
every further distribution or publication. I've talked to them today and
the ministry to drop this condition in the terms and the director of the
agency offered what I discuss in the next paragraph.

The director of the agency responded to an e-mail I sent and has said
attribution in the Contributor's page
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors) suffices. The terms as
they are now do state all derived works need a copyright symbol and the
name of the agency (unless the agency asks otherwise, which I think they
will invoke in our case). But the agency also wants the terms to be
displayed on said wiki page, including the condition that a special
permission must be obtained for every further distribution or
publication of those who retrieve data (for Iceland) from the OSM database.

I suspect that such a condition is not in the spirit of open data but
nevertheless I decided to inquire about it anyway. Would such a
condition for data be acceptable for data contributions? If the terms
would be on the wiki page, would they be legally binding for whoever
downloads the data?

The terms are displayed at http://www.lmi.is/almennir-skilmalar/ so you
can get the full picture. There should be a Google Translate option at
the top of the page.

With regards,
Svavar Kjarrval