[OSM-legal-talk] sharealike trigger

John Bazik me at johnbazik.com
Wed Jul 24 01:30:11 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:43:57AM -0700, Paul Norman wrote:
> in a RDBMS table. For example, you could use a RDBMS as a k-v
> store and store both OSM data and a completely unrelated set
> of photos in it. On the other hand, you could use a schema which

I guess I was just trying to make the (trivial?) point that
data coexistant in an RDBMS or even within a table therein has
no bearing on whether it is derivative of OSM data.

> I still believe it's best to avoid talking about a technology-specific
> way of storing databases, particularly when the OSM database comes as
> an XML file, which is closer to a set of flat text files than an RDBMS
> in many ways.

Well, if most consumers of your data are like me, technology-specific
references are helpful.

> I'm not sure what you mean. The meta-data included in planet.osm is part of
> the OSM map database, although most consumers drop the user-related metadata
> because it unnecessary for most applications.

I thought that OSM does not consider the user data derivative and does not
distribute it (or, is not compelled to, by the ODBL).

> Well, in RDBMS terms SELECT produces a rowset which is closer to a table,
> not a "database".

My point was that select produces a rowset that may exclude columns.

John