[OSM-legal-talk] Current status on UK Council footpath data

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Jun 6 07:11:39 UTC 2013

Hi,

Just wondering what the current state of what we can do with the UK council footpath open data is?

Generally I don't just copy the data into OSM anyway: it's more fun to survey :-)

However I'm wondering whether we can do this?

1. Use the council data to verify whether a footpath surveyed by GPS is actually a public footpath, in cases when the waymarking is ambiguous and we "think" it's a right of way but may or may not be;
2. Removing the designation tag from a footpath surveyed from GPS before the council data was available. I've discovered that a path I surveyed in 2010 is not actually a right of way, according to Barry Cornelius' rownmaps.com.

Thanks,
Nick