[OSM-legal-talk] [Talk-GB] Current status on UK Council footpath data

osm at k3v.eu osm at k3v.eu
Thu Jun 6 12:15:39 UTC 2013

Hi Jerry,

On Thu, 6 Jun 2013 10:59:11 +0100, "sk53.osm" <sk53.osm at gmail.com>
wrote:
>One thing which concerns me is the 'private' release of Open Data. A
>number of counties have given ProW data to persistent pesterers (not
>meant perjoratively) apparently under a suitable license. I'd far
>rather see this published on the official websites of the Highway
>Authorities, not least because then one is reasonably sure that they
>have checked with OSGB re. OS data.

I think you are asking a lot if individual contributors who are not
lawyers should be expected to second guess councils and the licenses
they choose to release data under. If an OSM contributor uses this data
(either by contributing it to OSM or outside the project) in good faith
and in accordance with the stated license then it is hard to see what
the comeback could be either to OSM or to the individual.

It may be the case that PRoW geometries include OS data but I don't
see that this would apply to designations and prow refs that are surely
owned and managed by the councils and therefore theirs to license how
they see fit.

Kevin