[OSM-legal-talk] Clarifying Geocoding and ODbL

Andreas Labres list at lab.at
Fri Jun 14 08:38:40 UTC 2013

> At least for the "substantial" part of your question I believe if a
> professional geo service provider like map box would decide to use OSM to
> satisfy its geocoding needs, it is obvious that this use would be
> "substantial", or you could use it only very few and for very short time ;-)

+1. If you geocode just a few points, the result is not a work. If it's enough
to be a database, it's probably derivative. Say, you geocode all housenumbers in
an area, or all pubs in London, this list of coordinates probably is a database.

But only local jurisdiction will tell you what is a database (a work) and what
is not. ODbL can't (and shouldn't) give you an answer here.

/al