[OSM-legal-talk] Clarifying Geocoding and ODbL

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Mon Jun 17 07:37:05 UTC 2013

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists <robert.whittaker+osm at ...> writes:

> I'd still very much like to hear of potential use cases, where
> regarding the "inputted search data plus returned coordinates" as a
> derivative database (which may be part of a collective database with
> other proprietary data in it) would actually cause problems.

I feel that this requirement prevents state and municipality agencies in
Finland from using OSM maps as base maps in their web applications. There
are often some feedback mechanism in the applications so that users can send
a message about data error or then they announce that something in broken or
something has happened in some location. Usually user does not know the
coordinates but only the address or that something happened in the corner of
A- Street and B-Street. Uncertainty about if all the administrative data
which have some connection with the user feedback would become share-alike
if user locates the place by clicking on top of the OSM base map makes
administration to use Google and other other base map providers instead.

-Jukka Rahkonen-