[OSM-legal-talk] produced work vs. derivative db

Jonathan Harley jon at spiffymap.net
Mon Mar 4 17:15:04 UTC 2013

On 04/03/13 16:53, Michal Palenik wrote:
> after reading all the documents/wiki/mailinglist I am still confused:
>
> what forces producers to publish a derivative database and not just
> produced work?

Clause 4.6 of the ODbL, which says if you publish a produced work you
must make the database it was produced from available.

> usecase:
> a user takes a substantial part of osm db, hand modifies it (eg changes
> name of a street to correct one, make a new hiking route ...) and then
> publishes it as an online tilemap/printed map. claiming it to be a produced
> work under a commercial licence.
>
> is it a produced work?

The online tilemap and printed map are a produced work.

> is it also a derivative database?
> (if so, which odbl clause kicks in to state this?)

The database is a derivative database as defined in the definitions section.

Correcting names and adding hiking routes which connect with OSM's data
is exactly the sort of data the share-alike clause is intended to capture.

> thanks
>
> michal

HTH!

Jonathan.

--
Dr Jonathan Harley   :    Managing Director    :   SpiffyMap Ltd

md at spiffymap.com      Phone: 0845 313 8457     www.spiffymap.com
The Venture Centre, Sir William Lyons Road, Coventry CV4 7EZ, UK