[OSM-legal-talk] produced work vs. derivative db

Michal Palenik michal.palenik at freemap.sk
Thu Mar 7 13:42:29 UTC 2013

I've tried to put extra information on several wiki pages:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Produced_Work_-_Guideline
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Use_Cases#When_is_something_a_Derivative_Database_when_is_it_a_Produced_Work_and_can_it_be_both

(please check the wording)

generally the answer to question "is it produced work or derivative
database?" is "doesn't really matter, even if it were produced work, you
are obliged to published the underlaying derivative database"

however, on several pages under the use cases wiki page, eg
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Use_Cases#Using_OSM_data_for_the_production_of_a_hand-made_map
still set a hard line between produced work and derivative database.

michal

michal palenik
www.freemap.sk
www.oma.sk