[OSM-legal-talk] [GIS-Kosova] OSM road network for Kosova

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Mar 7 22:50:47 UTC 2013

Am 07.03.2013 17:20, schrieb Bekim Kajtazi:

> To help understand better, this is how data got into OSM:
> I digitized the data from topo maps
> Shared the SHP File with FLOSSK in Prishtina
> FLOSSK recruited many volunteers to get the data in OSM
> Few months later data was removed from OSM
>
> Anyway, unless there is a way to get some of that data back into the
> map, then I don't see any benefit of continuing this conversation.

Assuming a) the topo maps are a legit source (out of copyright or
explicit permission) and b) you still have the SHP files, sure it is
still possible (and if it is just by providing the files as an overlay
which is preferable to an import anyway).

>From the mails it would seem as if you do not actually have an OSM
account or at least you were not involved with the importing yourself,
then I can only point back to the importers. They would have had it in
their hands to document the import properly, provide support during the
licence change if explicit permission for further use was necessary and
so on.

Simon