[OSM-legal-talk] About CC-4.0 and ODbl

Pekka Sarkola pekka.sarkola at gispo.fi
Tue Oct 1 04:28:58 UTC 2013

Dear Friends,

Finnish Government is preparing their general open data license. Now there
is period of public discussion about new guidelines. You can also
participate:
http://www.jhs-suositukset.fi/web/guest/news/palautepyynto-avointen-tietoain
eistojen-kayttolupa. Yes, It is in Finnish. Maybe difficult to understand
;-)

However, basic rule will be that all Finnish public data sets should be
licensed under CC-BY-4.0. They can also use CC0, if necessary.

National Land Survey of Finland's topographic datasets are already released
with OSM compatible data license. But there is more data sets coming from
municipalities and other gov agencies (like address data) which we can use
to make OSM better.

Questions: Is CC-BY-4.0 compatible with OSM current license (ODbl)? If data
is released under CC-BY-4.0: can we import it to OSM?

Rgs,

Pekka

ps. CC-4.0 license draft is here:
http://staging.creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode