[OSM-legal-talk] License / Copyright - OSM data for commercial use artistic map

Jonathan Harley jon at spiffymap.net
Mon Oct 21 09:25:26 UTC 2013

On 19/10/13 11:11, Beri Dániel wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I would like you to have a look at my question I posted in the OSM
> forum yesterday. It is not an urgent matter, I'm duplicating it here
> as well because I would like to avoid any mistreatment of the OSM
> licenses.
>
> Below you can read my post from the forum, or just simply have a look
> at it in the forum itself:
> http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=22948
>

> Thanks in advance!
>
> Daniel

Hi Dániel, overall your project does sound like what's presented to
users would be a produced work and there is no problem with commercial
use. AFAIK OpenLayers uses the FreeBSD license which places no
limitations on use other than that you must distribute it with its
license intact.

The only part which would constitute a derivative database is your
altered OSM data (point 2). This altered data will clearly be derived
from OSM's data and you would need to publish this under ODbL. If you
store the data about where your users live (point 5) in a database, and
if this data is derived from the OSM map (users drop a pin on your map
based on what they see on it, or where the OSM-based search server said
they are), then this is also a derivative database and must also be made
available under ODbL.

Note that a "database" here just means a data set - the set of data that
was derived from OSM. The ODbL license does not extend virally to any
other data sets you may happen to store in the same database management
system. The derived data is the only thing you must distribute freely
(if asked to), and you can retain all rights on your other data, images
and published maps.

HTH - Jonathan