[OSM-legal-talk] Copyright of old media / images / maps

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 17:00:35 UTC 2014

> This is notably NOT the case in the United States as shown by the
> Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp. case[2].

interesting, as it was NYPL (New York Public Library) that caught my
attention in this case (but I have noticed similar copyright notices in
most other libraries as well, e.g. German and Italian ones). NYPL have
released recently 20.000 maps as CC-0, but looking for other media I found
these copyright disclaimers (for 18th century material). As they are quite
big I thought they must have a reason and be somehow backed by legislation
before they put those disclaimers on their website and ask fees according
to the intended use (e.g. 200-300USD for a picture to be used in print).

cheers,
Martin