[OSM-legal-talk] Using Google Street View to perform "virtual survey"

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 23:44:20 UTC 2014

On 6 April 2014 00:04, Paulo Carvalho <paulo.r.m.carvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
>> https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/710/can-i-use-google-streetview-to-help-create-maps
>

> I see many people agree that we can use the images to access reality.  This
> does not mean we're using the images themselves, which is copyrighted work.

We'd be using the images even if we were not copying them, these are
different things.

>> Also, somebody has asked Google regarding Street View. Here is Ed Parsons'
>> answer: "Checking the odd street names is OK. But every street name I
>> would suggest
>> > would represent a bulk feed."
>

> With all due respect, this is plain wrong.  Anyone who dealt with databases
> know that a bulk load is...

This is a Google service and it's up to them to define what bulk load
is and isn't when they present you the agreement.  You can only accept
it or reject it as a whole except in very rare situations.

>> And "bulk feed" refers to the Terms of Service: 2(e) [You may not] use the
>> Products in a manner that gives you or any other
>> > person access to mass downloads or bulk feeds of any Content, including
>> > but > not limited to numerical latitude or longitude coordinates, imagery,
>> > and > visible map data Hope that helps.
>

> It says "imagery".  I'm not telling to download and use the images
> elsewhere.  Reading a sign in SV photos and taking a note is different from
> copying them.

Again I think the main point is the agreement doesn't say "copy", it says "use".

Cheers